Mittwoch, 17. Juli 2013

Old Barn Door with Rust

SanDee & Amelie's steampunk challenge is asking for rust. This time, i wanted to create something different as a brownish, rusty looking box with a little help of Tando Creative and the amazing Book Cover Kit *Nuts and Bolts* designed by Neil Walker. In private, he must be thinking of me designing this kit *lol* I definitely need more of these. They are very sturdy and perfect for painting.




I really love the little nuts


Unpacked


I went for my favorite technique from the Andy Skinner Timeworn Workshop
*Peeled Paint*
here
with a first layer of DecoArt Titanium white


A second layer of white and some drybrushing with medium grey on top


The nuts, bolts and the closure had a paint treatment with DecoArt Traditions black followed by raw umber and burnt umber on top. The running rust effect is done with a wash of Quinacridone Gold


The cover is sealed with Americana Duraclear matt varnish


I adhered the front and back cover to corrugated cardboard with double sided tape


I really love to make my own embellishments
I'm using some metal frames and Americana Writer White which drys 3 dimensional


Let dry over night. The paint will flatten when dry


On top i used some rub on's and American Tripple Thick 


Looks a bit like enameled
More paint on the metal for the rusty look 



Stipples of green acrylic paint for patina


While watching these pictures at this stage, i missed some running rust at the embellishment and the door was still a bit too empty for me.
What's behind the door?
I decided to make an image transfer like Mr Skinner explained here, for the finished look


Do you like it?
Thanks for reading to the end and your appreciated comments

Elly


Kommentare:

Lillibelle hat gesagt…

Unglaublich, was Dir hier Tolles kreiert hast! Bin äußerst begeistert Elly. Schön, dass wir Deine Arbeitsschritte immer so wunderbar verfolgen können!

Neil hat gesagt…

Hi Elly,
I LOVE what you've done with my book kit, so thank you for sharing it. It works beautifully with the techniques doesn't it.

whyducks hat gesagt…

I adore it! Love the peeled paint it is one of my favorite Techniques of Andy's.

Silvia(Barnie) hat gesagt…

Das sieht mal wieder megagenial aus. Total schön.

die amelie hat gesagt…

Hach, klasse, Elly,

deine Tür sieht wirklich verdammt echt aus. Ich dachte erst, du hättest zur Abwechslung mal was aus deiner Fotosammlung gezeigt (vom letzten Türkei- oder Griechenlandurlaub) *lol.

Die Box ist echt genial und tatsächlich wie für dich gemacht (gäbs da sonst noch jemand? *grins). Eine irre schönes Werk ist dir da gelungen!

Herzlichen Dank fürs Mitmachen bei unserer Rost-Challenge auf SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

Liebe Grüße,

Claudia x

Andrea C hat gesagt…

Superb x

Gráinne hat gesagt…

*schnappatmungsalarm* Das ist obergenial, Elly. Suzanne x

butterfly hat gesagt…

What a brilliant idea, and so beautifully executed... I love your ancient door book covers - wonderful!
Alison x

Christi Conley hat gesagt…

Oh how I wish we had all the cool stuff you guys have across the pond - like the book kit!! What did you use to put the numbers on the "enameled" embellishment?? I love it and I have to try it!! Fantastic work as always!

Gio hat gesagt…

Wow, Elly. This cover is definitely designed for you!

I love how you applied all those aging techniques...my faves too!
Brava!

Have a nice (rusty ;-)) weekend

Annie hat gesagt…

Love this Elly. The paint, crackle and rusting provide a wonderful finish and I understand why you love it.

Good luck in the challenge and thank you for sharing

Crafty hugs Annie x

froebelsternchen Susi hat gesagt…

Mein Pc hat gestern gestreikt , als ich beim Anblick dieser Kreation vornübergekippt bin vor lauter Begeisterung... nun kann ich erst nach einer Reparatur hier kommentieren!

HIMMLISCH!!!!!!!!

Ephemera hat gesagt…

WOW what delicious paint effects you have achieved. The weathering and rusting are fabulous. XX